Fort George G. Meade
Provide required services, infrastructure, a safe and secure community, and quality of life that supports mission readiness and the Fort Meade Community.
Fort George G. Meade was established as Camp Meade in 1917 as one of 16 cantonments built to prepare American Expeditionary Forces for WWI. Named after Union Civil War officer, Major General George Gordon Meade, Fort Meade was home to the first women to serve in uniform. The “Hello Girls” served as telephone operators connecting front-line troops in France with Stateside operations. After WWI, Fort Meade became home of the Tank Corps, the home to the Army’s first Cook and Baker’s School, and the home of the Special Services Unit Training Center where notables like musician Glenn Miller and boxer Joe Lewis trained in uniform to entertain the troops. Today, Fort Meade is home to the National Security Agency, U. S. Cyber Command, Defense Information Systems Agency, Defense Media Activity, and 116 other agencies which serve as the nation’s platform for Intelligence, Information, and Cyber Operations.
Located in Maryland, midway between the cities of Baltimore, Annapolis, and Washington, DC, Fort George G. Meade lies five miles east of Interstate 95 and one-half mile east of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, between Maryland State Routes 175 and 198. Fort Meade is situated within the communities of Odenton, Laurel, Severn, and Columbia.