The mission of Fort Buchanan is to provide Caribbean-wide support to the Department of Defense, support SOCSOUTH restationing, serve as a Power Support, Power Projection Platform by planning, preparing, and executing mobilization, receive and integrate U.S. Army South, provide Base Operations support, and develop and execute contingency plans.
Fort Buchanan, the only active Army installation on Puerto Rico and in the Greater Antilles, was named after BG James A. Buchanan, the first commander of the Puerto Rican Regiment/1st U.S. Volunteers that was formed by Theodore Roosevelt during the Spanish-American War. After defending the Canal Zone during WWI, the regiment was officially designated the 65th Infantry Regiment in 1920. A tract of 300 acres on the south shore of San Juan Bay was obtained in 1923, and designated as Camp Buchanan. In 1940, Camp Buchanan was renamed Fort Buchanan and, during WWII, became a general depot and induction center/training area for the Antilles command, while expanding to its current 1500 acres.