U.S. Army Garrison Daegu
U.S. Army Garrison Daegu Area IV provides essential community service, facilities, and infrastructure for Soldiers, Civilians, Contractors, and their families, while enabling the "Fight Tonight" capability. Support Noncombatant Evacuation Operations and provide Army fixed base command and control.
On July 1, 1950, a small force of American Soldiers known as Task Force Smith landed at Pusan on the southern coast of the Republic of Korea. There they began a dramatic march north to meet an invading Army in a land that, at that time, could not be more remote in the minds of the American people. In the years that have followed, U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Soldiers have stood in combat and vigilance with the forces of the Republic of Korea to protect the homes, lives, and freedom of the Korean people.
Camp Henry was originally built by the Japanese Army in 1921, and served as the headquarters for General Minami and Japanese Forces located in the Daegu Area. During the Korean War, the camp saw little action as it was on the northern edge of what is known today as the Pusan Perimeter. After the war, the post was named after Medal-of-Honor winner Lt. Frederick Henry. Camp Walker is named after Lieutenant General Walton A. Walker, Commander of American Ground Forces until he was killed in a jeep accident in 1950. Camp George was named after PFC Charles George, who received the Medal-of-Honor during the Korean War. Camp Carroll was named after SFC Charles Carroll, a posthumous recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross for his acts of heroism during the Korean War.